Thursday, August 08, 2013

Less reading than usual

My reading pace has slowed down as I am finding it hard, at the moment, to find stuff I can get in to. Every book I pick up, I start, get a little way into and then think 'Nah' and move onto another book,

Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel
Format - Kindle

As with 'Wolf Hall' this took me a while to get into. I don't know why I find her writing style needs me to adjust my reading style but it does. Allowing for that, this follow up didn't disappoint on any level. It deals with a period of history and the characters therein that endlessly fascinate me. I love the levels of the story telling and the insight to Cromwell away from court life. I enjoy that a lot of the characters are more minor ones and that Henry and Anne are not holding centre stage throughout the book. I particularly liked the interview with Mark Smeaton and his 'torture'. Clever and compelling.
Await her next with interest and anticipation.

Curricle and Chase by Lizzie Church
Format - Kindle

This was recommended to me by a friend and I have to say it is not my kind of book at all, it is a very romantic book in every sense. A bit of Heyer meets Austen with a smattering of Cartland, but I did enjoy it. It had a nice pace, good characters and was a quick, kind of fun read. It entertained and amused me in a gentle way that didn't tax my brain. I would read this author again to see if it was a fluke or the result of brain fatigue.

The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer
Format - Audio book (Librivox)

After reading the above, I realised I had never read any Heyer - the only one in the public domain is the above so I decided to listen to it. It was all that I expected and yes I did smirk a few times but that isn't to say I wasn't entertained by it. It had a ridiculous but also endearing quality and although I had worked out the plot by the second chapter, I still wanted to listen to it to the end. I did enjoy it. Not sure I would revisit it though.

Dr Thorne by Anthony Trollope
Format - Audiobook (Librivox)

I am slowly revisiting all the Barchester books this year. Dr Thorne is one of my favourites I love the meeting in a small town world of Scratcherd and the Gresham/DeCourcy factions. It is clever and for me compelling. The narrator is really good and as he sounds like an older gentleman I imagine it is Trollope himself reading his tale to me. I know a lot of people find Trollope dull and long winded but he is an author you need to give a little time to. He starts most tales with a few (duller) chapters of scene/character setting but once you get past them the rewards are worth it. With his sharp eye for details and mild derision his stories are a delight.


That's it for now. Not that many. I hope to rediscover my reading mojo soon.


No comments: