Thursday, April 11, 2013

And the reading goes on

Lets start with audio books;

Little Women and An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Aldcott

The first is an old favourite from childhood. It is a hot buttered crumpet of a book and I grew up wanting to be Jo so much. It has never lost its magic for me. The second I just downloaded because I had never heard of it. I loved it. It has the same magic and sense of comfort as the other and I am so pleased I found it.

Bear Creek Collection - vol 1 by Robert E Howard

Another happy accident. Bit boys own but I really enjoyed them. Very nicely narrated too. Not a lot you can empathise with but a romping good listen. Bit like a marmite and cheese sarnie - satisfying with a bit of bite.

Books now - all on Kindle this time.

A friend recommended Jenny Colgan and as I had just read a bit of a weird book (details follow) I needed a bit of froth. So back to back I read 'Rosie Hopkin's Sweetshop of Dreams', 'Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe' and 'The Loveliest Chocolate Shop In Paris'. I liked them all. They did what it said on the tin, to quote an old TV advert, they eased my mind and soothed me like a good cup of tea and Rich Tea Finger. I still prefer other chick lit authors, I needed a bit more zest and humour for my personal taste, but I shall read more. I have one more already downloaded. I suspect that that one will be enough though.

Blue Smoke and Madness by Lisa C Hinsley

Quirky, disturbing and a bit weird. I liked it but it left a nasty taste and the ending is rushed. The whole book is a guessing game of madness, delusion or fantasy reality. There are some nasty disturbing chapters that are a bit churning - including a fairly graphic rape scene. It isn't a book I'd go out of my way to recommend to anyone really but I wouldn't be adverse to giving this author another read in the future.

Good Husband Material by Tricia Ashley

Another 'tin' fulfilling its promise here. Read it for the hero! Plus the fact that most chapters end with a little paragraph or two from his prospective which made a refreshing change. I like this author a lot and her books have a nice cosy comfort feel - bit like a modern Miss Read with recipes and romance, this one was less so, but still a good read.

The Griffin Cryer by Julia Hughes

Aimed at the teen market and another rushed ending but that aside I liked it. Bonus that it although it had a partial school setting, it was set in the UK. The story is different - no vampires and star crossed lovers - clever twists and open to a follow up. A quick and enjoyable read.

Cinderella Chronicles by Lisa Renee Jones

One novel, two short stories or novellas. If you like fairly obvious romance interspersed with sex and quite a lot of sex then you will love this. Me? I got a bit bored but for a freebie it was an OK read I suppose. Not really my cuppa tea.

No comments: