Thursday, January 06, 2011

A Christmas Mystery - Jostein Gaarder (book 1).

I've decided to attempt the '52 books in a year' for 2011. There is a group for this on Ravelry which has some interesting posts etc and is worth a look at. But I think I will fly solo and just blog each book I read here. I'm am including books that I am revisiting and audio books in my list.

My first book is 'A Christmas Mystery' by Jostein Gaarder - which I did start at Christmas 2010 but finished on January 1st 2011 so I'll include it.

I have read this book before but not since J was a weeny baby. I only remembered the bare bones of it so it was nice to visit it again and it is perfect seasonal reading.

Set in Norway it tells the tale of little boy and his magical Advent Calender - this is the outlying story but there is a story within the story within the story. You also get a nativity story - but with a twist - a mystery of a missing girl. All interlock and unravel together with a very clever narration, the stories have good pace and they translate well. It is the kind of book that, although it isn't a compulsive page turner, left me feeling satisfied when I finished it.

I've read other books by this author and so far they have never failed to intrigue, interest and entertain me.

No comments: