Monday, June 06, 2011

A fanfare pleeaasseeeee!

52 books in 52 weeks - books 41 - 52.

I am going to list these in the format they were read in. This would have been nowhere as easy if audio books weren't allowed. As I have been knitting and spinning in the evening and not watching TV much at all I have got through quite a few since my last post.

Audio Books.

Book 41 - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. (Librivox read by Chip).

Ashamed to admit that all I knew of this story was the most recent Hollywood telling of it. The book bares so little resemblance to it - it is almost criminal. I loved the story and Chip told it wonderfully - he has the sort of lyrical voice that made it almost poetical. I do think that there is far more descriptive writing of the 'where' than telling of the 'how' and 'what' though.

Book 42 - Love and Friendship by Jane Austen. (Librivox read by Cori Samuel).

I have never read this before. Oh dear. You can tell the youth of the author by its content and the story telling - good thing she improved is all I can say.

Book 43 - Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen. (Librivox read by Elizabeth Klett).

One of my less favourite of JA's books normally but I had never listened to it on AB before and I found it held my attention more and Catherine annoyed me less in this format. It was very well read and the narrator made no mistakes in her English pronunciations and her American accent worked quite well in the telling. I still find that it is not a favourite though.

Book 44 - Mansfield Park - Jane Austen. (Librivox read by various).

This is another less favourite JA and same as above I had never tried it on audio book. It is better in that format but I think the multiple narrators didn't add anything. I might buy an audio copy and listen again. I still find Fanny as irritating as hell and Edmund is wet!

(Sorry bit of a JA binge in the last couple of weeks).

Book 45 - Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off. (Read by the author).

As a knitter this kind of book amuses me no end. I know some people don't like the Yarn Harlot and her books but I do. She is funny in a lovely self depreciating way, she knows her subject and the twists (lol) she puts into the telling of her knitting life are great. This book takes you through the land of knitting introducing the world of modern knitters, their jargon and their obsessions.

Kindle Book.

Book 46 - The Chosen Soul - Heather Killough-Walden.

This is much more a traditional fantasy story, though I found it in the teen/vampire bit of of Amazon. I think it was in the wrong place. It belongs more with fantasy sagas etc. You have Demons and 9 rings of Hell, you have Orks, you have Gods and you have Elves - all the components of a good fantasy read and it didn't disappoint too much - a little formulaic in places but not boring, a few nice twists with a good end that makes you want to know what happens in the next one. These books are not great literature but they are readable.

Book 47 - Finding Sky - Joss Stirling.

There are probably a 100 reasons why I shouldn't like this book but I don't care. I loved it! Corny and predictable in places, teen market based but I loved it. Could not put it down. Terrible I know but it sucked me in and I can't wait to read the next one.

Books 48 & 49 - Demon Girl/Demon Day (The Rae Wilder Novels) - Penelope Fletcher.

The opposite of the above - I should, knowing my penchant for this type of book, have loved these - fairies, vampires, shifters, witches, clerics and lots of teen(ish) angst but even with the voodoo and a zombie thrown in - they just didn't do it for me. The female main character was too needy, selfish and stupid to make me want to care - I just wanted someone to kill by the end of the 2nd book - won't be reading the rest.

Book 50 - Hard Landing (The 1st Spider Shepherd Thriller) - Stephen Leather.

Not a normal choice for me and when I started it I loved  it,a real page turner (I do like this author and have read others of his) but as the story progressed it moved in one direction really and I don't know I got a bit apathetic with it all. I still enjoyed it, but it got a little bland for me. Even the ending was a bit predictable (seem to be using that word a lot at moment - perhaps I'm jaded?)

Proper old fashioned books.

Book 51 - The Colour Purple - Alice Walker.

This has been my bedtime reading and it is an old favourite. I think it is one of the best books ever written. Every time I read it I cry. I loved the film too which is unusual when a book is such a firm favourite. I think it is one of those books that everyone should read at some time in their life. Genius.

Book 52 - Frankenstein (1818 text) - Mary Shelley.

Another firm fav and another bedtime reader - I like a proper book at bedtime that it doesn't matter if I drop it as I doze off. I first read this book in my 30's - so late to such a good story. This is the third time I've read it and it doesn't get old - my favourite section is still the part where the creature is hiding and watching at the farm my heart aches for him every time. Brilliant.

So that is it - 52 books done - I had two fails during this time so I thought I'd give them an honourable mention.

1st fail - The Girl with Dragon Tattoo - Stig Larson.

It is still on my Kindle and I will try and finish it -so many peeps have told me it is worth the effort the only problem is every time I start reading it my eyeballs dry out!

2nd fail - Trick of the Dark -  Val McDermid.

I should stay away from thrillers - I can always works out the who did what to whom and why - long before the end - this fell into that category.

I know some peeps keeping going to see how many books in total in a year, but I can't do that - I'd start competing with myself!!! I am done. It was fun.

No comments: