Saturday, February 04, 2012

Books 17, 18 and 19.

'Around the World in Eighty Days' by Jules Verne
Format - audio book - Librivox - read by Mark. F. Smith

Never read this, it never appealed but as I had decided to make a good percentage of my audio books this year to be books I'd never normally read, I thought I'd give it go. Glad I did. I loved it. It is a cross between a boys own adventure and a Victorian version of a Bill Bryson travel book. I got into to it straight away and did not get bored once. So much better than the film versions too.
The narrator did a really good job - I liked his kind of laconic drawl and it helped the portrayal of Fogg's character perfectly. I have saved the book on my iPod cos I think it is one I will listen to again!

'The Blood that Bonds' and 'Blood Hunt' by Christopher Buecheler
Format - Kindle.

I thought I was over my vampire literature obsession....obviously I was wrong. I read  the review of some one else, went to have a look on Amazon, saw the first book is free and off I went. Both books are good, but the second (which isn't free but is still a good price) was my favourite and has left me waiting for the third book eagerly. They are very much of the genre but they have a better balance of violence, sex and actual story than most. Both were page turners that I read with ease and speed and the author writes well and with a good pace. If I had to find a negativc it would be that one of the main characters, the one the second books starts with, then disappears almost completely, with a  few brief mentions by other characters here and there, a couple of paragraphs in the middle of the book and then back in the epilogue, this frustrated me a bit as the other characters carried on fully throughout the book and I kept waiting for this ones story line to kick back in. From the epilogue I assume her tale will resume in book three but still....it was a bit annoying.

No comments: