Monday, April 02, 2012

Nablopomo April - poetry!

Golly gosh bish bosh - forgot that I had signed up for this *spanks own bottom soundly* very remiss of me cos I missed yesterdays post completely.

Will play catch up now.

I love poetry. Whether reading it in my head, reading it out loud or having it read to me. It never fails to paint pictures in my head, inspire and delight me. Today's prompt for a topic is 'The First Poem You Ever Memorised'.

That is simple because it is a children's poem. My older sister had the A.A. Milne poetry books 'When We Were Young' and 'Now We Are Six' and she would quite often read them to me and she also would tell me her favourites from memory and I memorised them along with her. They stay with you when you learn them like that. I have passed this love of these childhood poems onto J and spent many rainy afternoons with him when he was little reading them to him. Anyway, I digress, the first poem I learnt was........

Daffodowndilly by A.A. Milne.

She wore a yellow sun-bonnet,
She wore her greenest gown;
She turned to the south wind
And curtsied up and down.
She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbour:
"Winter is dead."

The only reason I had to look this up was to check the punctuation - still know it word perfect!

No comments: