Friday, April 06, 2012

A favourite poem

 I've missed out one topic - a poem for a funeral. I've had to hear far too many of them in my life and the ones that mean something to me are far too emotive to post. So, I've skipped to a favourite poem - not my all time favourite of all time - but one that endures and I have never tired off it. It's not an epic and it's not that deep and meaningful but I love it.

When We Two Parted

When we two parted
In silence and tears,
Half broken hearted,
To sever for years,
Pale grew thy cheek and cold,
Colder thy kiss;
Truly that hour foretold
Sorrow to this.

The dew of the morning
Sunk chill on my brow -
It felt like a warning
Of what I feel now.
The vows are all broken,
And light is thy fame;
I hear thy name spoken
And share in its shame.

They name thee before me,
A knell to mine ear;
A shudder comes o'er me-
Why wert thou so dear?
They know not I knew thee,
Who knew thee to well:-
Long, long shall I rue thee,
Too deeply to tell.

In secret we met-
In silence I grieve,
That thy heart could forget,
Thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee? -
With silence and tears.

George Gordon, Lord Byron (1788-1824)

No comments: