Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of two yarns

It's Knitting and Crochet blog week - huzzah!

Todays post should be about a yarn you lurve and a yarn you abhor.

My most favourite yarn in the world ever - has to come from  sock yarn as I knit more socks than anything else and it is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. I just adore it. I would like a massive pile of the stuff (more massive than I have) and I would like to wallow around nekkid in it. It makes great socks which wash well and are hard wearing and it has lovely stitch definition and it never makes my hands sore (some sock yarns do as they feel coarse until they are washed). They have the most amazing range of colours and I covet every skein that has ever been produced.

I haven't got a specific brand of yarn I dislike - I have types of yarn I dislike for example - yarn barf which is bobbly with bits on or fluffy or like ribbon. The main reason behind my dislike of yarn barf yarn is  two fold.  Firstly they are normally fookin pants to knit with - not easy to handle or splitty -  stuff like that and secondly 99.9% of them, in my experience, squeak as you knit them. The kind of squeak that sets your teeth on edge and makes you shudder (similar effect to drinking cheap whiskey). It's like knitting with a mutant demented mouse that has been through a barf dispenser. Yuck.

P.S - Also most stuff knitted with yarn barf comes out looking pants cos the patterns written for this type of yarn (again IMHO) are total shit.

No comments: