Thursday, May 26, 2011

52 books - 29 - 40

I have seriously remiss in posting my reading. So I decided to do a bulk list and as I have been reading loads of crap quick fix fantasy stuff I will only review the books I really loved.

Book 29
The Three Musketeers - Dumas.
Format - Audiobook - Librivox.

Never read this before (or listened to it) I love the story - fab. But as it had different narrators which differing French accents and pronunciation it wasn't an easy listen. It has however made me determined to read it for myself or at the very least get a decent audio version.

Book 30
The Beekeepers Apprentice - Laurie R King.
Format - Kindle.

This is a really good read. I saw that Wibbo had read it in her 2010 book challenge, I enjoyed her review and decided to give it a go....well it's a variation on a theme with added Sherlock Holmes - how could I resist?
I am so glad I didn't resist. I loved it. I will be reading more of this series.

Book 31
Wuthering Heights -  Emily Bronte
Format - Audio book

This is a really old download that is on my previous iPod (which I use now mainly for audio books) and I cannot find anywhere who the narrator is -but however she is, she is wonderful.
I was a late comer to this book as I didn't read it until I was in my 20's and on my first reading I enjoyed it but it wasn't at all what I was expecting. It is now a favourite classic and one I return to time and time again. It is such a clever, thought provoking read - I love the dialect usage and the language - it is a book that makes you feel it.

Book 32
Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
Format - Kindle.

This is my bandwagon book. I saw that quite a few friends had read and enjoyed it. I read its synopsis and some reviews and decided to download it. It is really good. Not my normal stuff but a change is good for you. I read it in two days because I couldn't put it down. I love the mix of thriller, police drama and a sprinkle of ghosts, spirits and magic -really works. I can't wait to download and read the next one.

Books 33 - 36.
Format - Kindle
(all chick lit)

Cinderella Deal - Jennifer Crusie
The Way to a Womens Heart - Christina Jones ( I love Christina Jones - her books are fab)
The Moon and Back - Jill Mansell
Summer of Love - Katie Fforde.

Books 37 - 40
Format - Kindle
(all fantasy)

My Love Lies Bleeding and Out for Blood - Alyxandra Harvy
My Soul to Take and My Soul to Save - Rachel Vincent

The above four books are all good reads but they are all very much on a par with the Twilight and Vampire Diaries style of book - with different twists - first two are vampires but it is more a telling from their world and perspective the Rachel Vincent books deal with banshees - but still are a variation on a theme. I would read more from Alyxandra Harvy but not of the others.

No comments: