Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Book review.

Yesterday I finished a book that I had downloaded onto my Kindle called 'Gears of Wonderland' by Jason G. Anderson. I loved it.

He uses steam punk themes and takes them into the Wonderland setting - there are robot assassins, air ships, steam driven troop carriers and EMP style weapons mixed in with gas lighting and Victoriana. Add to this the Knave of Hearts, the Mad Hatter, the White Rabbit and the Cheshire Cat among others and you get a book full of delights. It isn't the longest book I've read or the most complicated but it was certainly very entertaining and I couldn't put it down.  I liked it so much I commented on the authors web page and wrote a brief review on Amazon!

I think part of the appeal for me was the light touch of 'Neverwhere' in the main character being displaced from our society and the homage to both Wonderland books which were such favourites of my childhood.

If the idea of the book appeals you can read a sample here.

No comments: