Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"Happy Halloween, Ladies."

The Hag - Robert Herrick - 1591-1674.

The Hag is astride,
This night for to ride;
The Devill and shee together;
Through thick, and through thin,
Now out, and then in,
Though ne'er so foule be the weather.

A Thorn or a Burr She takes for a Spurre:
With a lash of a Bramble She rides now,
Through Brakes and through Bryars, O're Ditches, and Mires,
She followes the Spirit that guides now.

No Beast, for his food, Dares now range the wood;
But husht in his laire He lies lurking:
While mischeifs, by these, On Land and on Seas,
At noone of Night are a working.

The storme will arise, And trouble the skies;
This night and more for the wonder,
The ghost from the Tomb Affrighted shall come,
Cal'd out by the clap of the Thunder.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Halloween Peri!

And I LOVE the fireskull bag!

Sarah said...

Happy Halloween Peri!

And I LOVE the fireskull bag!

Maggie said...

Oh Wow! I can't thank you enough for that poem! Thankyou thankyou thankyou! :-)

When I was in first year of grammar school we sang it for end of term concert. I could only remember the first verse, and never thought to look for it online (or anywhere else come to that!) but always wished I'd kept a copy of the words - my girls would have LOVED that when they were small.

The tune was a bit difficult, with some odd timing, so every night on my way home from school (a 2 bus journey) I would sing it under my breath as I walked from the final bus, past my Grandmother's house, and on to ours. I sang it over and over until I had the timimg and tune right.

Did you ever sing it?

Best wishes from Liverpool