Friday, January 20, 2012

Books 9-12

'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern
Format - Kindle.

It isn't often that I find a book that totally enthrals me from start to finish, I can normally find a moan or a negative, but not in the case of this book. I couldn't put it down. I was transported with wonder and fully entertained by every single page. I want to see a circus like this! I loved the concept, I loved the major and the minor characters and I adored the interweaving stories of them all. I think it is one of the best books I have read in a very long time.

'Dracula' by Bram Stoker
Format - Audiobook - Librivox - read by various.

When this started I thought I'd done a wrongun. The narrator had a strange voice and was reading the first chapters which are Jonathon Harker's journal - the women's voice was pitched low and I couldn't engage with it at first (though I did get used to it) then as the novel progressed I realised that to show its epistolary style to its fullest each characters journals etc was read by someone else and the cast line up was maintained throughout the whole 27 chapters. I love this book, I first read it as a teenager and I had avoided it as a audio book because I didn't know how it would work, well I have to say that the peeps  at Librivox did a first class job! It really worked, even the Jonathon Harker voice fitted in to the story telling. It gave the story a whole new dimension I enjoyed every second of the telling.

'All Wound Up....' by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Format - Kindle.

I think you either love the 'Yarn Harlot' or you hate her. I happen to fall into the camp of loving her, her blog and her books. So a new book by her is always a joy to me. This one didn't disappoint - yes the format is similar to her others - but there was, in my opinion, a greater depth and character to her tales. They are written for knitters who like her whimsical take on the world of being obsessed with yarn but this collection I think moved a little outside of that on some occasions which is what gave them a bigger scope. I enjoyed it, it's a pick and put down book, ideal for the odd quiet moment here and there.

'The Railway Children' by E B Nesbit
Format - Audiobook - Librivox - read by Karen Savage.

Another favourite book. Last time I read it was when J was little and we were following on from 'Five Children and It' he loved it and I rediscovered it. I like this narrators style (she also read 'The Secret Garden' mentioned in my last book post). It is a little twee and of a 'hug-your-knees' style but it has a timeless charm and innocence and I think it still is a 'jolly' good read. I always loved Perks and the Old Gentleman and to this day have a soft spot for Phyllis!

No comments: